Base plate material

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hi

Please, can anyone let me know what material is best to use for base plate for denture try-in.

I haven't made dentures since college a long time ago so I am wondering does everyone now make light cure bases instead of using shellac or just a wax sheet.

Do labs use light cure bases for all their work from their basic dentures to their highest quality dentures?

Thanks in advance,

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Light cure baseplates for all of our dentures.
Hi Doris,

Thanks for your reply,

Is light curing baseplates worth the extra cost through improved accuracy then using just wax or shellac or is there much of a difference expense wise?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi Doris,

Thanks for your reply,

Is light curing baseplates worth the extra cost through improved accuracy then using just wax or shellac or is there much of a difference expense wise?
Yes, they are definitely worth the cost, and they aren't expensive. Wax and shellac aren't stable and are not accurate at all.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Primo base
Primobase looks great but seems a higher cost then regular light cure bases, do you think it's worth using primobase on all cases for the improved accuracy or just using it on high quality cases?

Thanks,

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi Doris,

Thanks for your reply,

Definately not Doris, but wanted to throw my 2cents in the pot.
It's around $1 a sheet. And it will not deform under pressure, or from rough handling, or from heat. All of which will happen to most rims and try ins. Especially on a long p/u del run in summer.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Definately not Doris, but wanted to throw my 2cents in the pot.
It's around $1 a sheet. And it will not deform under pressure, or from rough handling, or from heat. All of which will happen to most rims and try ins. Especially on a long p/u del run in summer.
Hey

Thanks for the replys.

Probably a stupid question but just wondering can you use light curing special tray material for denture bases? - I notice that "special tray" is stamped on the Magilight box that I have with no mention of using it for base plate - is there any health reasons why the special tray material is not suitable for denture base plate?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for the replys.

Probably a stupid question but just wondering can you use light curing special tray material for denture bases? - I notice that "special tray" is stamped on the Magilight box that I have with no mention of using it for base plate - is there any health reasons why the special tray material is not suitable for denture base plate?
The tray material is certified for intraoral use, so why not. I'm an odd duck too though, I toss the baseplate before processing so the baseplate is not a permanent integral part of a denture I make. I use a dup model that has blockouts were any needed so I can save my orig model in a pristene state for final checks.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for the replys.

I googled Magilight, and yes you can use it for baseplates. It says tray material because you can also use it for custom trays.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Keystone .100 Clear Splint material 5x5, vacuumed formed.
Can easily block out cast.
Easy for lab tech / doctor to trim and adjust.
Cost effective over light cured products.

Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
Do you have a special trick I always have a hard time with the borders getting too thin with suck down material.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Hey droberts, that's interesting; vacuum formed base plates, although i'd imagine it would me difficult to get down into the sulcus area (sometimes 3-4mm depth) unless you use a tool to do it?

I suppose ideally a pressure former would be best.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
To answer both questions above. Not many issues with border thickness IMO,
mandibular arches in the retro molar pad is the longest draw.
I have found that if the cast is cold ( refrigerated ),they suck down tight and work
very well. Its backwards as to like separator to a hot cast. Cold liquid draws into
a hot cast, where as the hot plastic draws to the cold cast.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Hey

Thanks for the replys.

Maybe I misunderstood you can not use the light curing special tray material as a denture base. You can use it for a denture base plate, as you throw it away at boil out.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hi Doris,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, it's worth it. The stability and fit directly correlate with accuracy bite registration and trial.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Not even close to me. Vacuform is in my opinion slightly better than shellac.
It is possible to make an outstanding ing one, but the vast majority I've seen are crap.
I've just never needed to squeeze the price point over a dollar.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to vacuum form unless you block out the under cuts. Then you have too much waste material.
LC is passive and you don't need to block out if you can remove prior to lc.

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood you can not use the light curing special tray material as a denture base. You can use it for a denture base plate, as you throw it away at boil out.
Yes sorry I ment to say Denture base plates

O

orthoace

Reaction score
Just wondering what thickness should the denture base plate material be at the edges of the fitting surface when finished and also what bur is best to use to smooth edges of the light cure material?

I was using grey acrylic polishers that were wasting like a hot knife through butter!

Top Bottom