composite stump die alternatives

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
i would like some feedback on the True Die stump die colors from harvest dental or other stump die alternatives. anyone here using anything like this? I like the idea of not having to make composite stump dies. I would think the added thickness would cause problems. also, do they come with a thinning agent to keep them at the right thickness.
Thanks in advance

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
They are pretty close to the ND composites. The only thing I didn't really like about them is since you are putting it on stone die, there is no light transmission
through the resto and the die. Just like any analog die spacer keeping the consistency, consistent can be a pain.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Hankins Laboratories had made their peg putty into a set to match the nd guide. Not sure if they still do or not. Here is a number 800-339-8321. It was ok. I guess it wasn't a thing I felt I needed so I kept with their normal white putty.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've been using the "Perfect Match" spacers from ADS for awhile and I've got no complaints.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I've been using the "Perfect Match" spacers from ADS for awhile and I've got no complaints.

What do you use to thin them out with? I have a couple shades to try out, but they came pretty thick. Something I can get at the hardware store, compared to their $$ thinner?

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I've used acetone or nail polish remover on normal die spacer to thin it out.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks SiKBOY, as the stuff I used to thin out the Taub Smart spacer with, didn't go over very well with the ads Perfect Color spacer. It seemed to make it thicker, sludged it up.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
i would like some feedback on the True Die stump die colors from harvest dental or other stump die alternatives. anyone here using anything like this? I like the idea of not having to make composite stump dies. I would think the added thickness would cause problems. also, do they come with a thinning agent to keep them at the right thickness.
Thanks in advance

I do like the TruePrep from harvest dental the best so far. I have used Taubs Smart Spacer for years, but like Harvest's better. I would need to use the right thinner for ads Perfect Color to get a better reading with it. The Harvest seems to keep thinned out longer, doesn't dry up as quick as Taubs. It also doesn't get as flaky (died up stuff) around the lip of the jar so theirs less chunks falling into it, or getting on your brush tip as you use the lip to remove excess.

I will be replacing my Taubs with all Harvest as I need to reorder them. They do have a stumph shade conversion chart to help guide which ones to use for which stumph shade is needed.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
What do you use to thin them out with? I have a couple shades to try out, but they came pretty thick. Something I can get at the hardware store, compared to their $$ thinner?

I didn't know the answer, so I emailed ADS to find out. It's water based.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
So all you have to do is add water to thin it out?

J

John C

Reaction score
Will it wash off with water when it's dry?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I doubt it, but I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.
Latex paint for instance is water based but not water soluble after its dried. But I'll see what happens tomorrow.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I painted a die with the Perfect Match and let it dry, then I sealed half of it with the Die Aid sealer that comes in the set. After allowing that to dry I scrubbed it with an old toothbrush under running water. a little came off on the corners both where it was sealed and where it wasn't but most stayed intact.
So no, it won't wash off after its dry.