Outsourcing

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
There are things that I need done by outside labs. Cast partials and Dura-flex. Being new to the region have tried a few labs and overall the work has been acceptable. But, we'll call this lab, Lab A. I went to Lab A and talked to the department head about case I had for them. I very specifically asked this fellow, "Is this frame going to be made on premises?" The answer was "Yes, we do everything here". I also asked very clearly" Are you going to do this yourself or the tech or techs under your direct supervision?" His response was, "I will personally do your case myself". We know each other from years ago so I took his word for it. A few days later I realize I needed to to order teeth for this case so I called him and asked if I could stop by and look at the model real quick so I know what to order. He tells me, "It ain't here". I ask, "Where is it?" His response," My friend has it". Let shorten this up. They sent it out. Where? I have no idea. The rumor mill had the case to China. I did a little more digging and found out that it went to a lab in another state. There is no need to lie about this stuff. Are some of these labs that desperate that they have to be deceitful? Is it just business as usual? I will never send them anything again, and if asked about this lab I will be honest about my experiences with them. It's a well known lab.
I sent an RPD frame to another lab about a hundred miles away. Gave them more than the standard turn around time they asked for. Three days after I sent the case they call me and left a voicemail stating "We'll get your case back in two weeks". Get it back? FROM WHERE? So I called and asked the owner "Where is my case?" (I'm not that concerned about the long turn around time at his point). She was honest, " We don't have the personnel to do it here we send our chrome to China." Does anybody on this forum see why Drs. get so frustrated with labs?? I do. I had to call my client who in turn has to call the patient to reschedule. It would have been nice to have been given the option of where I wanted this case done. I would send it to China myself if that's where I wanted it done. If this frame comes back and it is unacceptable now what? I guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope I get lucky on this. I will certainly tell my client where I got this frame from and where that lab sent it. The Dr. may not want to have an offshore prosthesis in his patients mouth. I know I wouldn't.

Last edited:
R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Labs in our area lie about this issue ALL THE TIME! We do everything here except mill authentic connection custom abutments (for obvious reasons). I got tired of competing against offshoring, deceitful labs so I started harping on the issue every time I sent out a newsletter. Started promoting an "Open Door Policy - Come visit your cases anytime." Honestly? Not sure it helped in the slightest, but it made me feel better...

I know that's a little off track. Let's just say I'm sympathetic to your situation....

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
That's my issue with this. Deception. My name is on this restoration and I would at least expect options. Not be force fed something I don't want behind my back. It's a small industry and word does get around. I won't out someone publicly on this forum. I will in private though. Thanks.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i think you need to look at the price if its cheep it aint done in the lab .you know what staff cost you know how long it takes and the process involved so if it doesnt add up its outsourced the rule of thumb is it cost about $10 a day to employ a techo in china and its about 10-30 times that for local at least.I believe it should all be transparent ,where it comes from ,who made it ,where was it made and how much it cost etc and the patient should see it all.This would slow down the liers in our job both techo's and dentist.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
I hear ya on outsourcing. What stinks is that no matter how much you grill them prior to sending you still can't be sure whether they are lying or not. I'm in the same boat as far as having to outsource metal rpd. I tell all of my drs I send my frames to a US lab because I'm too small to buy the equipment, and pray that they are made here. If I'm transparent to my drs, I expect the same from my suppliers. Turnaround time lets me gauge whether its offshore or not, but the fact he sent it to another state is just as disturbing. Sorry bro, hope you find a good frame lab you can trust.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Labs in our area lie about this issue ALL THE TIME! We do everything here except mill authentic connection custom abutments (for obvious reasons). I got tired of competing against offshoring, deceitful labs so I started harping on the issue every time I sent out a newsletter. Started promoting an "Open Door Policy - Come visit your cases anytime." Honestly? Not sure it helped in the slightest, but it made me feel better...

I know that's a little off track. Let's just say I'm sympathetic to your situation....
I like that policy, I do the same thing.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
its not just the labs, but some of the doctors as well. had a former client tell us just last month that they decided to send their (pfm) work to a lab offering $64 crowns.
when i mentioned that it takes about 8-10 labor hours to make the crown...and that even at min wage ($7.25/hr) that its not possible the crown is made here....they said they dont care if it went to china....but they didnt want to talk more when i asked if the patients knew this.
its an integrity issue and its not just limited to the dental industry. consider your shopping choices the next time you pull into Walmart

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
i should make a production video.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
Jochim Chrome Lab in Concord, Ca is who you should try.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
labs are a pain in the ass to work for.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
8-10 Labor Hours? Is that including coffee breaks, lunch and a siesta?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
8-10 Labor Hours? Is that including coffee breaks, lunch and a siesta?
no, that includes all the down time waiting for models to set up, investment, burnout, degas, 1st bake, etc. all the stuff that you still have a body waiting around for the crown, but isnt really production time.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I use foreign people to do my work.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Dental Labs don't want to work.
Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

Last edited:
rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
My customers will sometimes ask me if I know a good lab for something they don't make in-house
for example Titanium bars. I've been in this field for 15 years and I truly find it mind-blowing how
many labs DO NOT want to give another lab a decent discount anymore. What happened to that I guess
you could say 'respect ' between labs?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
My customers will sometimes ask me if I know a good lab for something they don't make in-house
for example Titanium bars. I've been in this field for 15 years and I truly find it mind-blowing how
many labs DO NOT want to give another lab a decent discount anymore. What happened to that I guess
You act like we lab owners get along, you've been on here long enough to know we go at it!!! However, you're right, always charge labs significantly lower. Granted there isn't much meat on the bones these days and any half way decent lab isn't looking for more work, they are swamped and maybe that's why they don't lower the cost for one another. Covid and the recession have really taken a hit on the industry imo.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
With all due respect, why would I want to work for less so you can make a profit?

It's always been known if you want to save money, DIY

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
You act like we lab owners get along, you've been on here long enough to know we go at it!!! However, you're right, always charge labs significantly lower. Granted there isn't much meat on the bones these days and any half way decent lab isn't looking for more work, they are swamped and maybe that's why they don't lower the cost for one another. Covid and the recession have really taken a hit on the industry imo.
We've been trained to think we should be at odds..... because it's not in our customers best interest if we reach common ground. It's an old seed that was planted long ago.

Hopefully it will change someday to all our benefit. And a forum like this is a great start.

Last edited:
rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
With all due respect, why would I want to work for less so you can make a profit?

It's always been known if you want to save money, DIY

I guess that's EXACTLY what happened to the " help thy neighbor " type of respect amongst Lab Owners.
Sounds like people want to make 100% of the profit instead of 80% while helping out a fellow lab owner.
I can't imagine myself as a Supply Company trying to sell to other supply companies at retail prices. Of course
they won't make as much profit as we do because we have other costs we take on such as ocean shipping. But
there's meat on the bone for everyone.

Top Bottom