Tips and Tricks for your lab

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I use utility/rope wax also, Ive done this for years, I glaze every crown this way. I have mine on the end of an old instrument.. when it gets old and dirty, just stick a new piece on. Glad to hear someone else does the same :)

I'm not following, what are you guys talking about? A stump material?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I feel like I do a lot of taking and no sharing, so maybe this will earn my keep.
Here's one I like. I think I may have already shared though.
Use paint or similar program.
Erika Rock1 paint check.jpg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Good idea...just don't forget to include the shade-tab labels in them pics as well...:D:D:D

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Good idea...just don't forget to include the shade-tab labels in them pics as well...:D:D:D
Yeah, I saw that before I left the office and wrote them down on cust chart:)

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
O.K. Don't laugh. You can use a flex hone to resurface the inside of my Whip Mix bowls.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
We've sharred a few ideas for holding all ceramic crowns, especially during stain and glaze...

I brought up blue tacky model holder from 3shape, Luke recommended a white alternative, others have suggested different waxes.

Im looking for something more general tooth stump color. I know thats quite a range, but help me out here...

Im thinking it was way back in the Dicor era that they had something that was a pliable tacky toothy colored stick that came wrapped in a piece of cellophane about the size of a birthday cake candle.

Ring a bell with anyone?

My old boss used to use tooth coloured Play doh

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I know I'm the only one who hates working with veneers but I came up with this a few years ago to help with one step. I use a glue stick first on the die to help stick veneers to them then make a putty holder-in-placer thing. It is awesome for checking excursions and occlusion. Can also smooth down remaining sprue on the incisal.
image.jpg image.jpg

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
love the tips, capet in a dental lab though = major dust magnet. id get that out if the opportunity arises.
It can just be carpet under bench. I have carpet in my in house lab it does suck.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I know I'm the only one who hates working with veneers but I came up with this a few years ago to help with one step. I use a glue stick first on the die to help stick veneers to them then make a putty holder-in-placer thing. It is awesome for checking excursions and occlusion. Can also smooth down remaining sprue on the incisal.
View attachment 19869 View attachment 19870

you can also paint lips on it.....genius!!!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Scott, Scott, Scott...You are one of a kind. (avatar; look ma, no hands).

SiKBOY...my fire inspectors would have a fit about running wires under carpet!

If it were just a small section of carpet it wouldn't be an issue, but yes you are right.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive been wanting to post that Ive been using a mr clean magic eraser for tons of stuff around the lab. It will clean models faster than a steamer. Also wipes polish off of crowns and dentures without dulling them like a scotch pad would.. The down side is they fall apart easily and dont last, but theyre great for wiping up.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
These are all great ideas, so here's what I had to come up with for a wet area. If you work from home and don't want to tie into your waterline, or like me didn't have anything readily available in your lab area, here is a $50-60 solution. 2.5 gal container from walmart, utility sink from hardware store, 5 gal bucket from the shed, and presto, no plumber needed, no messy plaster trap. Fill the water container every morning and after lunch, dump the bucket every night.

Attachments

• 20150927_165234.jpg
    20150927_165234.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 203
JTG

JTG

Reaction score
Ive been wanting to post that Ive been using a mr clean magic eraser for tons of stuff around the lab. It will clean models faster than a steamer. Also wipes polish off of crowns and dentures without dulling them like a scotch pad would.. The down side is they fall apart easily and dont last, but theyre great for wiping up.
I like that, have a steamer on my wish list, but if I can use that on models then I'm sold!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
These are all great ideas, so here's what I had to come up with for a wet area. If you work from home and don't want to tie into your waterline, or like me didn't have anything readily available in your lab area, here is a $50-60 solution. 2.5 gal container from walmart, utility sink from hardware store, 5 gal bucket from the shed, and presto, no plumber needed, no messy plaster trap. Fill the water container every morning and after lunch, dump the bucket every night.

And dump the bucket where, every night? ;) :) Even though you mentioned a messy plaster trap, would getting the drain fittings for the tub drain and have it run into a 2.5 gall. disposable plaster trap (maybe on 4x4s to elevate it if needed) then have then have the other plaster trap drain hose drain into the bucket, so that where ever you're dumping it won't get mucked up after awhile? I suppose if you live on acres of land, it wouldn't matter, as it's not like you're throwing out reactor water.

JTG

JTG

Reaction score
And dump the bucket where, every night? ;) :) Even though you mentioned a messy plaster trap, would getting the drain fittings for the tub drain and have it run into a 2.5 gall. disposable plaster trap (maybe on 4x4s to elevate it if needed) then have then have the other plaster trap drain hose drain into the bucket, so that where ever you're dumping it won't get mucked up after awhile? I suppose if you live onacres of land, it wouldn't matter, as it's not like you're throwing out reactor water.
I actually dump it into my dumpster every night and let the trash truck take care of it. I do live on an acre so every couple of months I take them (dumpsters) to the back fence and rinse them out, so no buildup anywhere. Thanks for the idea, I had thought what you mentioned awhile back, that way I could use the waste water around my trees out back, but haven't gotten around to messing with it yet.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I figured you had probably thought about that before. Nice idea bout the water recycle. :)