What the best and accurate the bite registration technique?

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope you all doing great,
I used the regular technique to take the bite registration by making two points: one on the tip of the nose and the other one on the patient's cheek. Then I take the measurements between the relax vertical without the bite wax and with the bite wax. Then I check the difference between them. It should be no more 3mm.
What's your technique guys?

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
That is called freeway space and is usually about 2-4 mm. The difference between the jaws at rest and occlusion.... For taking the bite I usually use a bite rim for the vertical reference and pin tracer for the horizontal reference and then take a quick facebow...Using the pin tracer equilibrates the forces in the baseplates and prevents the possibility of the patient moving slightly sideways with only a bite rim. The facebow refines the arc of closure. After the pin tracer is completed and the patient can successively find the hole, I take the bite in Plastogum.....Never had an off bite using that method.....and fewer post insertion adjustments....

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
In this case you have to have pin tracer for every single patient?
How much for them how can I buy them?

T

Troy Epps

Reaction score
Inhabits behind lingual/mandible in centric relations.

T

Troy Epps

Reaction score
Mushbite behind lingual mandibular in centric/relationship.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope you all doing great,
I used the regular technique to take the bite registration by making two points: one on the tip of the nose and the other one on the patient's cheek. Then I take the measurements between the relax vertical without the bite wax and with the bite wax. Then I check the difference between them. It should be no more 3mm.
What's your technique guys?
That depends on what your building in the patients mouth. Crown and Bridge? Denture?
Anyway, wax bites are useless for crown and bridge. A wax rim of course if your building a denture. Please don't send your lab wax bites. Get some blue mousse or futar.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
since this thread concerns which is most accurate,
I should point out that wax rim bite is the most error prone method when compared to the central bearing device.
JPD in April 2005 reprinted a
classic article by Albert Yurkstas and Krishan Kapur of
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in which they
published the results of a 1964 study entitled “Factors
Influencing Centric Relation Records In Edentulous
Mouths”.

Even when variables were controlled, a wax mush bite still has a one in six chance of error.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
Here's something funny, in a sad way.

In the attempt to record a bite, we use the only reference point we have: Physiologic Rest.

This is because Rest - Bite = Freeway space.

Here's the funny part... As soon as you put anything in their mouth to record the bite, you change the rest position. Hmmmm2

The current methods we use to record the bite, corrupts the results...

From the textbook
Prosthetic Treatment of the Edentulous Patient (2011 edition)
By R. M. Basker, J. C. Davenport, J. M. Thomason rest affectors (1).jpg

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

In the attempt to record a bite, we use the only reference point we have: Physiologic Rest.

Here's the funny part... As soon as you put anything in their mouth to record the bite, you change the rest position. Hmmmm2

From the textbook

Which is why the rest position is recorded on the patient SANS anything. When the baseplate is inserted, the patient is taken back to THAT measurement.
In other words, physiological rest has to be established without anything in the mouth FIRST, then you have a reference point.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
Which is why the rest position is recorded on the patient SANS anything. When the baseplate is inserted, the patient is taken back to THAT measurement.
In other words, physiological rest has to be established without anything in the mouth FIRST, then you have a reference point.

Too bad nearly every doc doesn't do it that way

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
A drop of water on the tongue, get them to "swallow" during closure

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
by far the best method is by taking a pin tracing and facebow index and locking it with plastogum....and f you are going to that length then better to get an injection processor.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
That will get you some sort of vertical dimension however there si a hotizontal component as well...Can only be established with a pin tracing.....and for arc of closure use a facebow.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score

From the textbook
By R. M. Basker, J. C. Davenport, J. M. Thomason View attachment 17550
You can do that that way...but then ot complete the bite you have to get the patient to retrude the tongue to the top of the vault as far back as possible....Or in a sitting possition look straight up at the cieling. Tis will pull the tired mandible back into centric relation.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Totally agree
since this thread concerns which is most accurate,
I should point out that wax rim bite is the most error prone method when compared to the central bearing device.
JPD in April 2005 reprinted a
classic article by Albert Yurkstas and Krishan Kapur of
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in which they
published the results of a 1964 study entitled “Factors
Influencing Centric Relation Records In Edentulous
Mouths”.

Even when variables were controlled, a wax mush bite still has a one in six chance of error.
about the wax bite rim...It is only used to record vertical dimension at approximation of centric relation.....The pin tracing zeros that in...absolutely.

Top Bottom