Case Presentation

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! Love the Thumb Lip !

Great meeting you last weekend !
Kentucky Proud.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! Love the Thumb Lip !

Great meeting you last weekend !
Kentucky Proud.

Same here Al. Great meeting you as well. Got inspired to shoot " Thumblip" from a DLN post. May do more.LOL.

Shout out to Al. Great show at AACD. No one should miss an opportunity to see and meet Al if they have a chance!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Mike they had a board meeting Sat afternoon and voted to do it again next year in San Francisco but this time put us on the main venue and promote it with the other events. That was last minute and obscure and not promoted really Dwight is pushing hard to build a lab day at AACD .
They decided they want to promote the lab side. I think only 4% or something like that of the techs or tech members even show up to the annual scientific meeting.
My guess is they are short on quality techs givin they have over 6,000 dentist members some of the best Drs in the country and we are the ones that make Docs look good.
LOL I think we may have even won Brad over.
We're not looking for a peice of the pie from that Dr pool already covered up with work.
GC really came through sending like 6 or 7 Of us there. Same with Ivoclar and Anaxdent

Last edited:
R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Mike they had a board meeting Sat afternoon and voted to do it again next year in San Francisco but this time put us on the main venue and promote it with the other events. That was last minute and obscure and not promoted really Dwight is pushing hard to build a lab day at AACD .
They decided they want to promote the lab side. I think only 4% or something like that of the techs or tech members even show up to the annual scientific meeting.
My guess is they are short on quality techs givin they have over 6,000 dentist members some of the best Drs in the country and we are the ones that make Docs look good.
LOL I think we may have even won Brad over.
We're not looking for a peice of the pie from that Dr pool already covered up with work.
GC really came through sending like 6 or 7 Of us there. Same with Ivoclar and Anaxdent

I had the pleasure of attending the event and I have to say I was blown away by what you guys are doing with the DTG. It was refreshing to see the passion in that room and seeing techs that respect and try to emulate nature, a nice change from the usual toilet-white-picket-fence-laterals shaped like little centrals-drivel we see too often at that meeting. Hats off to Dwight for making it happen, AACD dentists HAVE to see what you guys are doing and see what's possible with a lot of skill and a lot more passion.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Well heck brother I wish I had known you were there, would love to meet you face to face.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Well heck brother I wish I had known you were there, would love to meet you face to face.

I was hoping to as well but after the presentation I got caught up chatting with Dwight and others on getting you guys up on the big stage next year then had to leave early. I won't be there next year ( IDS in Cologne, here I come) but I know you guys are going to breathe some life into that group.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Shade shot to start posteriors. This is an older case posted on model. Full crowns VM13.

image.jpg image.jpg

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Stained mono. Would like to had matched texture on molar. Old school pinned model with bi-pins on hydro-colloid impression.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Does any one use a silver product that cleans well?

From last post. This is a powder that i brush on. HI-LIGHT made by American Dental Supply. I only use it for photos on occasion, and on restorations that are glazed. The reason is that it's messy and can contaminate ceramic if not cleaned before any firing. Even after washing hands well, you can see tiny silver dots on your fingers through a microscope. These dots won't burnout in a ceramic firing. I use windex window spray or simple green to remove. Spray and steam or also in ultrasonic in container of simple green cleaning solution. Otherwise I prefer the Bausch arti-spray ( powder spray made for checking occlusion) for checking work in bisque. It cleans easily with steam for no worrys in finishing work without contamination.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Nice cases Mike!

I think New Harvest has a new product that you paint on with a brush. Comes like a bottle of die spacer so you don't get the dust everywhere like with Hi Light.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Nice cases Mike!

I think New Harvest has a new product that you paint on with a brush. Comes like a bottle of die spacer so you don't get the dust everywhere like with Hi Light.

Thanks Al. I'll look for it. Had a bad experience with hi light. On first try, I put on a refractory case in bisque and discovered it everywhere, after an initial clean, under the ceramic where I still needed to seal margins in glaze fire. Thought case was ruined, of course due next day. 20minutes in ultrasonic in simple green fixed it. We all have our stories. I know I'm not only one to drop crown in water after glaze when I was done for the day.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Used an lt to bond to 3i stock zirc part to customize. V2 cutback facial. Painted cracks before a mammalon fire then a final buildup. I've done cracks several ways but seem to like this way for now.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Very nice result Dentalmike. The midline embrasure is sa weeet!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Does any one use a silver product that cleans well?

From last post. This is a powder that i brush on. HI-LIGHT made by American Dental Supply. I only use it for photos on occasion, and on restorations that are glazed. The reason is that it's messy and can contaminate ceramic if not cleaned before any firing. Even after washing hands well, you can see tiny silver dots on your fingers through a microscope. These dots won't burnout in a ceramic firing. I use windex window spray or simple green to remove. Spray and steam or also in ultrasonic in container of simple green cleaning solution. Otherwise I prefer the Bausch arti-spray ( powder spray made for checking occlusion) for checking work in bisque. It cleans easily with steam for no worrys in finishing work without contamination.

I have used a product you can find at a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels, works fine for me. It comes in a liquid paint on for or powdered form to brush on. I use the powdered mixed in with some glycerin to create a paste and used that on the crown surfaces for more control. Steams off easily, and never had any problems.

gp2prostho

gp2prostho

Reaction score
Mike- Really impressive work. I am a pankey-trained, restorative dentist and after 6 years in private practice I am returning to school to become a prosthodontist. Ive committed to lifelong learning and have become fairly adept at taking intraoral photographs, but have yet to figure out how to take excellent images of the lab work and prosthetics outside the mouth. Your images are excellent and I was wondering if youd mind running me through your setup and camera settings? I assume you are using a lightbox and/or diffuser of some sort? Any info or resources would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance, keep up the great stuff.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Mike- Really impressive work. I am a pankey-trained, restorative dentist and after 6 years in private practice I am returning to school to become a prosthodontist. Ive committed to lifelong learning and have become fairly adept at taking intraoral photographs, but have yet to figure out how to take excellent images of the lab work and prosthetics outside the mouth. Your images are excellent and I was wondering if youd mind running me through your setup and camera settings? I assume you are using a lightbox and/or diffuser of some sort? Any info or resources would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer. Thanks in advance, keep up the great stuff.

Thank you for the compliments. I'm using similar in principal to Al's setup that are on pg117 of restorations du jour in case presentations. My personal setup uses custom made gadgets, but based on same principals. No lightbox. I use ttl when shooting with camera mount flash. Manual is to hard to mess with IMO for this technique and playing to see what you can get. I would suggest getting started with dual light, some paper and have fun. find what you like most. Learning what different lighting does and is personal to you is what will set your work apart. Much of my learning has come from the internet. Podcasts and YouTube. Good luck in school and photography. Please share with us on DLN.

Baobabtree

Baobabtree

Reaction score
Really impressive Dentalmike, love the results you are getting with VM13, I use this porc, can't get it to sing like you clearly can. Have learnt a lot from dln from you guys sharing here. It would be great to get an insight into your layering techniques for this porc. I sometimes feel that it just looks a little flat. Thanks very much for sharing and keep up the great work.

D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Really impressive Dentalmike, love the results you are getting with VM13, I use this porc, can't get it to sing like you clearly can. Have learnt a lot from dln from you guys sharing here. It would be great to get an insight into your layering techniques for this porc. I sometimes feel that it just looks a little flat. Thanks very much for sharing and keep up the great work.

Thank you Baobatree. If your not doing this already, adding a halo with trans dentin, cut en powders with about 15% window , paint in mammalon powders mixed with stain liquid for a thin consistency is a good place to start. If you are able to post any work or sample bench cases, I'm sure I and many others would gladly give feedback.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Dentalmike, what are your firing temperatures? Build and glaze, and iscit a natural glaze or enhanced.?